Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
This layered funfetti cake is a moist three layered funfetti cake full of cream cheese frosting. You can't have a birthday without funfetti cake! The cake layers are super moist, fluffy, and has a ton of rainbow sprinkles. Cream cheese frosting is slathered on top and decorated with extra sprinkles.
I don't know about you, but I love a homemade funfetti cake on a birthday. This funfetti cake is a buttery, fluffy cake full of clear vanilla extract and rainbow sprinkles. The clear vanilla gives it an extra sweet flavor.
It is similar to a vanilla cake with sprinkles, but it has more butter and a sweeter taste.
Most funfetti cakes have a vanilla buttercream, this recipe uses cream cheese frosting instead!
For more sprinkle recipes, try Mini Funfetti Cheesecakes, Chewy Birthday Cake Cookies, and Mini Layered Cake.
- Why This Recipe Works
- Ingredient Notes
- Step By Step Instructions- Cake Layers
- Step By Step Instructions- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Assembling The Cake Tips
- Storing and Freezing
- 📖 Recipe
Why This Recipe Works
- Funfetti cake layers- This has three funfetti cake layers baked in 8-inch cake pans.
- Cream cheese frosting- The tang form the cream cheese pairs so well with the sweet funfetti cake layers.
- Perfect for a birthday party- If you have a birthday party coming up, you have to bake this cake! The colorful sprinkles scream happy birthday!
- Soft texture- This funfetti cake recipe makes a super soft cake!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter- For the cake, pull it out 2 hours before baking so it is softened. For the frosting, pull it out 30 minutes before using so it is slightly cold.
- Oil- Use canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Clear vanilla extract- This is an imitation vanilla.
- Sour cream- Use full fat sour cream. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Eggs- Pull the large out 2 hours before baking.
- Buttermilk- Use full fat or reduced fat buttermilk. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Rainbow sprinkles- Use Jimmie sprinkles because they won't bleed too much into the cake Non-peril sprinkles bleed into the cake and shouldn't be used.
- Cream cheese- Use full fat cream cheese. Pull this out 2 hours before using so it is room temperature.
- Powdered sugar- Make sure to sift it to avoid a gritty frosting.
- Oil- You can use olive oil, but the cake won't be as white.
- Sour cream- You also use plain full fat yogurt like greek yogurt.
- Buttermilk- Use 1 cup of milk with 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice and let it sit for 10 minutes before using.
- Cream cheese- Instead of using cream cheese, increase the butter to 2 cups and reduce the powdered sugar to 6 cups.
Step By Step Instructions- Cake Layers
Here is how to make and bake the funfetti cake layers. This recipe uses a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer (electric mixer).
STEP 1: Mix the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
STEP 2: Beat butter, oil, and sugar. Using a mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter, oil, and sugar on high speed for 3 minutes. It will become very light and fluffy. Add the sour cream and clear vanilla extract and mix until combined.
Then, add in the eggs one a time and mix on medium speed until combined.
STEP 3: Alternate the flour mixture and buttermilk. Alternate between these two until combined. Make sure to mix on low speed and use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl.
Then, fold in the sprinkles
STEP 4: Pour batter. Pour the cake batter evenly between the three 8-inch cake pans.
STEP 5: Bake. Bake the cakes for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs.
Let the cakes sit in the hot pans for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Step By Step Instructions- Cream Cheese Frosting
STEP 1: Beat the cream cheese and butter. Using a mixer in a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese on high speed. Then, add in the powdered sugar slowly on low.
The frosting will be pretty thick. We need all of the powdered sugar because the cream cheese will make the frosting be runny without it.
STEP 2: Add the wet ingredients. Next, add the vanilla, salt, and heavy cream and beat on high until fluffy.
Assembling The Cake Tips
- Pipe a small amount of frosting on the board you are decorating on. This will keep the cake locked in place.
- Place the first confetti cake layer down and spread 1 ½ cups of frosting on the cake by using an offset spatula. Repeat with the second cake layer.
- Place the last cake layer with the bottom of the cake facing up. This gives the cake the flattest edge possible.
- Frost the entire cake in a very light layer of frosting. Then, freeze for 15 minutes. This crumb coat will lock the cake crumbs in place.
- Frost the rest of the outside of the cake.
Decorating The Cake
I decorated the sprinkle cake in extra sprinkles. I used a combination of sprinkles using the Rainbow Jimmies Sprinkles and the Rainbow Non-Perils.
Place the sprinkles on top of the cake while the frosting is wet.
What other cake pan sizes can I use?
For this cake recipes it will make: 3 6 inch cake pans for thick layers, two 9-inch cake pans, or 9X13 inch cake pan. You can half the recipe to make: two 6-inch cake pans, one 9-inch cake pan, 8X8 inch cake pan or 9X9 inch cake pan.
Can I make the cake ahead of time?
Yes you can! Wrap the cooled cakes with plastic wrap and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw the cake layers for 1 hour before decorating.
Can I make this into cupcakes?
Yes you can! Half the recipe to make 12 cupcakes in a 12-cup muffin pan.
Storing and Freezing
Store this best funfetti cake in a cake carrier or an airtight container. Store in the fridge up to 5 days.
The cake taste better at room temperature, let it come to room temperature for 1-2 hours before serving.
Freeze the funfetti cake into individual cake slices. Wrap the cake slices in plastic wrap and freeze up to 30 days.
Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Layered Cake Recipes To Try
- White Chocolate Cake
- Strawberry Vanilla Cake
- Oreo Cake
- Mini Vanilla Cake
This layered funfetti cake is a homemade three layer vanilla cake full of rainbow sprinkles. The cake is full of cream cheese frosting and topped with extra sprinkles.
5 from 28 votes
Print Recipe Pin Recipe
Prep Time 1 hour hr
Cook Time 22 minutes mins
Decorating Time 1 hour hr
Total Time 2 hours hrs 22 minutes mins
Servings 16 slices
Calories 569 kcal
- 3 ½ cup All-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 tablespoon Oil canola or vegetable
- 1 ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Clear vanilla extract or pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup Sour cream room temperature
- 4 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup Buttermilk room temperature
- ⅔ cup Rainbow sprinkles use jimmies sprinkles
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 ½ cups Unsalted butter slightly cold
- 8 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- 4 ½ cups Powdered sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Rainbow sprinkles for decoration
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray three 8 inch cake pans with non-stick baking spray. Place an 8 inch parchment circle on the bottom of the pans and spray again.
In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
3 ½ cup All-purpose flour, 2 ½ teaspoon Baking powder, ½ teaspoon Baking soda, 1 teaspoon Salt
Using a mixer, beat the butter, oil, and sugar for 3 minutes on high speed. Then, add in vanilla extract and sour cream and mix on medium until combined. Add in the eggs one at a time and mix on medium until combined.
1 cup Unsalted butter, 2 tablespoon Oil, 1 ¾ cup White granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon Clear vanilla extract, ½ cup Sour cream, 4 Large eggs
Add ⅓rd of the dry ingredients and half of the buttermilk and mix on low speed. Add another ⅓rd of the dry ingredients and the rest of the buttermilk. Finish with the rest of the dry ingredients.
1 cup Buttermilk
Take off the mixer. Add in the sprinkles and fold them in with a rubber spatula.
⅔ cup Rainbow sprinkles
Pour batter evenly through the 3 cake pans using a kitchen scale. Bake for 18-23 minutes. Cake is done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Allow cakes to sit for 10 minutes in the pan. Then, transfer to cooling racks. Allow them to cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Using a mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese on high speed for 3 minutes.
8 oz Cream cheese, 1 ½ cups Unsalted butter
Add in the sifted powdered sugar slowly on low speed. Scrape the bowl. It will be very thick.
4 ½ cups Powdered sugar
Add the vanilla and salt. Beat on low until it starts to combine, then beat on high for 1-2 minutes. Scrape the bowl halfway through. The frosting should be creamy.
1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon Salt
Pipe a tiny amount of frosting over the board you are decorating on.
Place the first layer of cake down. Spread ¾ cup of frosting over the cake. Repeat with the second layer. Place the last layer with the bottom of the cake facing up. This will give the cake it's flattest top.
Frost the cake in a very thin layer of frosting. Freeze for 15 minutes. This will lock the crumbs into place.
Frost the rest of the cake. Top with extra sprinkles.
Flour- Make sure the to spoon and level the flour or use a kitchen scale. If you scoop the flour directly into the measuring cup, it will compact leading to a dry cake.
High altitude baking- add an extra 3 tablespoon of cake flour.
Room temperature ingredients- make sure all dairy ingredients are room temperature before baking. It will get a much higher rise!
Calories: 569kcalCarbohydrates: 121gProtein: 5gFat: 39gSaturated Fat: 23gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 457mgPotassium: 90mgFiber: 1gSugar: 30gVitamin A: 1201IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 90mgIron: 1mg
Keyword best, cake, confetti, cream cheese frosting, funfetti, moist, rainbow, sprinkle
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Confetti cakes date at least back to the 1950s; a 1956 Betty Crocker advertisement in Life announced a new "confetti angel food" cake mix containing "colorful little morsels of sweetness". In 1989, the Pillsbury Company introduced "Funfetti" cake, a portmanteau of fun and confetti, which achieved great popularity.How do you store Funfetti cake? ›
Yes! After the funfetti cake has completely cooled, cover the unfrosted top with parchment to prevent the top from getting sticky. Wrap the entire pan with plastic wrap before storing overnight at room temperature.What are 5 facts about baking? ›
- Baking soda is kind of magic. ...
- Betty Crocker doesn't exist. ...
- Chocolate chip cookies were a mistake. ...
- Baking is pure chemistry. ...
- Putting baked goods in the fridge actually makes them go stale faster.
1 – The earliest versions of cake were actually flat, compact discs of grain which were dried and compacted together. The closest resemblance to the cakes we enjoy today actually didn't appear until the early 18th century, as before this time, they were raised with yeast and closer to bread than cakes.How long can cake sit out? ›
Room Temperature Storage: Most birthday cakes can last a few days at room temperature, roughly around 3 days before the moisture evaporates.Can I leave cake out overnight? ›
Insert toothpicks on the top and sides of the cake so that the wrapping doesn't touch the frosting itself. 6. Rely on room temperature. You can leave out your covered cake overnight without even wrapping it, and it should be fine in the morning.How long can cake stay in the fridge? ›
In general, a cake will last anywhere from 2-7 days in the refrigerator, if kept well covered, depending on the type of frosting and filling.Who invented Funfetti cake? ›
Funfetti cake was originally created in 1989 by the Pillsbury Company who also own the trademark to 'Funfetti'. For over 30 years they've fed generations on funfetti icing, brownie mix and even seasonal funfetti mixes.What are some fun facts about Christmas cake? ›
It is a very old recipe: Christmas cake is said to date back to the Roman empire. The Romans used a mixture of pine nuts, barley, raisins, sweetened wine and pomegranate seeds to make a version of the Christmas cake known as satura. However, it was only in the 16th century that it gained popularity.What is another name for the Funfetti cake? ›
If you're not familiar with funfetti cake, you might know it with another name. This type of cake with rainbow-hued sprinkles baked into the batter is also known as confetti cake, sprinkle cake and birthday sprinkle cake.
It was fluffy, moist, perfectly white with flecks of colorful sprinkles throughout, and, most importantly, delicious. The addition of clear vanilla extract along with almond extract gave the cake that nostalgic Funfetti flavor I grew up with.